Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Meyer the Hatter

In New Orleans, there’s a place just off Canal on St. Charles called Meyer the Hatter. They sell hats. It’s been family owned and operated for around 111 years. I think that’s nice and interesting. Tonight after work we went over there so I could look at some hats. Of all times, Meyer the Hatter closes at 5:45. We weren’t at Meyer the Hatter until 6 twenty something. However, there was a Meyer inside so I mouthed through the glass, “Would you please let me inside? I want to buy some hats.” He let me in and could not have been any nicer. I bought two hats and Meyer gave me a free Meyer the Hatter ink pen as a souvenir. My Mom told me that customer service like that is probably what’s kept them in the hat selling business all these years. I think she’s right!

One of the two hats is a captain’s hat. Others tell me that it makes me look like a genuine captain! From now on I shall only respond to The Captain.

I wonder why I mouthed through the glass, “Would you please let me inside? I want to buy some hats.” It’s nonsense. After all, I never mouth stuff to people on the same side of the glass as me. Why would I be at my most quiet when the person trying to hear me is all the way behind a hunk of glass?

Plus, sometimes I’ll pull up to a four way stop at practically the same time as another guy. Every now and then the other guy waves me through at which point I typically mouth, “Thank you.” Why is that? I should roll down my window and scream the thank you.

The other day I was at the Rangers game and there was a guy on a cell phone standing up waving his arms like mad at someone on the other side of the park (and I would assume on the other end of the phone call). I’m sure the guy knew whomever it was he was waving to. He might even see that person every day. But there’s something about seeing somebody from across a baseball stadium that people find amusing. Those same two people probably saw each other at work the day prior scarcely mustering up the energy to mumble hello to each other as they passed in the hallway. Oh, but how we’ll roll out the barrel if something as hilarious as seeing someone you know from a distance happens.

Tonight I had my first baked beans encounter. I don’t know about those things. I need someone to offer me some baked beans with the guarantee that no mustard’s been added.

Here’s some stuff to think about. Is a bean the same thing as a seed? What is a nut? Also, what would happen if I planted a kernel of popcorn? Would it give me a corn? Could I pop beans? If not, what other stuff besides corn can be popped? Lots of stuff melts, so you couldn’t pop that stuff. But if stuff doesn’t melt, shouldn’t it pop? Are pop and melt opposites? Do chickens melt? I know they have popcorn chicken, but I’ve never noticed any corn in them so I think it must be kind of like chicken fried steak. Popcorn describes how the chicken is prepared. Popcorn-popped chicken. Since chicken pops, shouldn’t other meats pop? I mean, meat is meat. Why would one meat pop any better than another?

I bought my dog a duck the other day. My parents take care of my dog while I’m out of town. After my Dad dropped me off at the airport, he stopped by my house to pick up Albert’s duck. According to my sister and my Mom, the duck and my Dad have been going around quacking non-stop at Albert. Finally my Mom got sick of it and started yelling at my Dad. My dog likes his duck, my Dad likes to quack, and my Mom likes to yell. I guess everybody’s happy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I think people will REALLY roll out the barrell when LarryFeathers appears in a captain's hat. What is the other kind of hat?

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about the duck? Is he having fun also? The other day my wife and I saw some pygmy-goats and I though about getting one so my dog and him could play together. Your duck story has made me think my idea is not so far-fetched after all. Thanks Stubbing!

8:30 AM  
Blogger K. said...

Last Sunday I read a library book all about popcorn. It was pretty scientific for being a kid's book. So to answer your question: yes, you can grow your own popcorn by planting the kernels. And no, beans do not pop. The popping action of popcorn occurs due to a buildup of pressure inside the kernel, until it finally explodes. Beans, while starchy and explosive once they enter your GI tract, do not have a hard outer shell and hence will not pop.

I will not discourse on the subject of melting chickens.

Both of my hats come from Meyer the Hatter as well. Perhaps the hat will make a comeback in the world of men's fashion.

-K.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe it was your "suga momma" in FL that gave you the name Captain. And I see that you have now decided to embrace your title. I know that Ms FL will be very pleased to know this.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Larry Feathers said...

Thanks for all of the comments one and all.

Tara, the other kind of hat is one of those flat short-billed hats that olds wear.

Bean, I'll post pictures of me and the hats very shortly (I need to re-download the software for my image host.)

Anonymous, the duck is actually stuffed. Otherwise, he'd be having a lot of fun! My dog tries to take care of the duck. It's pretty weird. History said he would've tried to rip the duck apart. If anyone is holding the duck, he comes and takes him gently out of your lap and lays down next to it. I'm not sure whether there are commercially available stuffed pygmy-goats. You could probably make your own.

K., thanks for all of the insight about why stuff pops. Thanks too for telling me the name of Meyer the Hatter. I'm going to be staying down by the hat shop next week. Let me know if you need any other hat(s).

Anonymous, I haven't a "suga momma", but I know what you're talking about. You're right. I have officially embraced the nickname. After all, if you can't beat 'em join 'em. That's what I always say! P.S. Gina, Donna, and I went to the Pat O'Brien's piano bar where Donna had one of the pianists dedicate "Love Will Keep Us Together" to The Captain (me).

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home