Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Tilapia

Have you ever read a word in a book that is new to you and, suddenly, you start reading and hearing that word everywhere you go? It happens to me all the time. About a year ago I learned from a menu that there is a fish called tilapia. I’d never heard of it before. Now it’s all anyone wants to talk about! “Have you had the tilapia in a bag at Red Lobster?” “You should try tilapia. It’s good.” “I like tilapia.” “Three cheers for tilapia! Hip hip…” “Tilapia of the mornin’ to ya!”

Can anyone explain what’s going on with tilapia? Was I just not paying attention, or are tilapia some new sort of fish? Should I eat any? I only like the mildest tasting fish.

Hey, why don’t any of you who tease me for not liking moist meat put gravy on your fish? Hypocrites!

I’m told tilapia work well in aquaria. They’re native to South America and Africa, but were recently exported to parts of Texas and Florida. Is that why we’re just starting to hear about them? Or is it only me?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I aggree that Tilapia is hot in that trendy, Paris Hilton kind of way.
Write some more stories L!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Larry Feathers said...

Hi Cousin Ben's Wife!
Thanks for reading this. You're support is much appreciated.
I hope I get to meet you some day. I haven't seen Ben in years!
Meanwhile, I hope you guys are having a fun marriage.

11:05 PM  
Blogger tschy said...

I'm a big fan of Tilapia also. There's one stuffed over the main entrance to the clubhouse at my Mom & Dad's "winter place" in south Florida. I had never seen one until I looked up and saw it (very colorful). Now they are everywhere. I hope they don't overrun the waters...like a swiming version of that freaky locust movie.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Larry Feathers said...

Hi Tony! What a nice surprise.

How are Cheryl and the kids?

9:49 PM  
Blogger larrys-lady said...

Are you a mind reader or something? I was just asking Graham that same exact question. I ordered Tilapia at Applebee's a few months ago & I was slightly impressed. However, I had never heard of it before until that day, & now I am surrounded by TILAPIA. Honestly, I was not even sure how to pronounce it on my first encounter with this mysterious fish . I believe that people think they are high falutin' just uttering, "Tilapia"

11:17 AM  
Blogger Larry Feathers said...

Hi Julee!
I got your message. Hopefully you will be around this weekend so I can call. I thought you were in the middle of hating me!
It was certainly good to hear from you.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home